Candle Safety

Candles are pretty, and our candles smell very nice indeed. However it is important to remember they are actual fire, and can do a lot of damage, so please read through and follow these guidelines.

 

Make sure you keep your candle out of the reach of children and pets.

I'm pretty sure you don't need me to explain the damage a burning candle can do to your loved ones, however I'm also quite sure they don't get it themselves, so make sure they do not learn the hard way.

 

Consider where you are placing your candle.

Always put it on a heat resistant surface. The container gets hot. Very hot probably, and it could melt plastic or set wood on fire.

Make sure the candle is stable.

Keep the candles away from curtains and soft furnishings.

Keep them away from draughts. The draught can blow the flame onto something else  (and will also reduce the life of the candle).

Don't put the candle under a shelf. There is a lot of heat above the candle, and that can slowly heat the shelf until it catches fire, or starts burning whatever is on the shelf. Keep a clearway of at least one metre above the flame.

Keep at least 10cm between burning candles.

Never move a burning candle.

It is hot, and if it starts burning your hands, or the wax gets on your hand, you might drop or throw the candle. And it is on fire, which means anything it hits gets on fire too.

Keep your clothes and hair away. If there is any possibility you could accidentally lean across or drape you hair across a candle then put it somewhere else.

Always extinguish a candle before going to bed or leaving a room.

Never leave a candle burning while you sleep.

Use a snuffer or a spoon to put your candle out. If you blow it you could spread hot wax or a burning wick.

Double check your candle has fully extinguished.

Do not put a hot candle in the bin.

Do not leave foreign matter, such as burnt matches in your candle. They could flair up.

Do not burn the candle for more than 4 hours at a time.

The wax will melt too quick and the container might get too hot, and your candle's life will be shortened.

Always trim the wick to 5mm before lighting the candle. This ensures you have the nicest flame and stops it from burning too hot, which would reduce the life of your candle.

Do not pour candle wax down the drain. It will clog the drains. Also don't tip it into any lakes or rivers, as it might contain chemicals which could upset the aquatic life. 

Do not use the container for food at any point in it's life.

Mostly, just think about how you use your candle safely. Always consider fire safety in your home, because you want to enjoy your life and not damage it.